One of Those Days

It’s been one of those days. I’ve spent a lot of it hearing Peter Falk’s voice in the back of my head saying, “Who says life is fair? Where is that written?”

I failed my one-hour glucose tolerance test. Again. So I need to take a three-hour test. Again. And I still have morning sickness. And there’s just something completely wrong about that. Can’t I just have one thing be wrong? It’s not fair. (Cue Peter Falk.) And since it’s a three-hour test, I have to schedule it. ‘Cause, you know, I really have time to sit in the lab for three hours. (I understand that there is a desk somewhere underneath all of the files. I vaguely recall seeing it a couple of years ago…) But I’m a good girl (most of the time), so I called the lab and asked for as early as possible on Saturday. Oh, they only have one appointment for a glucose tolerance test on Saturday and it’s already taken. WTF? You can’t schedule more than one? Say, one at 8 and another at 8:15 and another at 8:30? Not rocket science people! Or brain surgery for that matter. I told her that I could not come in during the week because I was too swamped at work. She grudgingly accommodated me by saying I could come at 9, but I couldn’t be late because the lab closes at noon.

Okay, she might have been more pleasant that I felt like she was. I was not having a good day. I spent most of it with my door closed so that I could cry in peace. It was one of those days when I’d manage to pull myself together just long enough to make it to the bathroom and would have to work at keeping it together until I made it back to the sanctuary of my office. It was one of those days where the worst thing was having to deal with people. Don’t be nice to me and don’t make me be nice to you. It will just make me start crying again. (Cue Fred Savage: “But it’s not fair.”) At least I didn’t run out of tissues.

I spent the day trying to get caught up on the grants and display requests for a conference in August. And in keeping with the general mood, that process turned out to be an ordeal. First Word froze up so solidly that I couldn’t even force it to quit and wound up having to reboot my entire system. (Fortunately, I was able to do a proper shutdown, so it wasn’t a hard reboot.) Then two of the display requests bounced back, which meant the course director either sent me bad email addresses or he sent me contact info for drug reps who no longer work for those companies. I then had to recalculate the grant request amounts because this is one of those doctors who works on the “if I request too much then I’ll be approved for enough to cover all of the expenses” principle, which is a sure fire way to make sure that NO ONE approves your grant request. He wanted me to request a good 10k more than the expected expenses. Yeah. It doesn’t work that way. So I gathered all the paperwork for the first grant request, got it all uploaded, hit submit, and landed on a blank page. I waited a bit to see if I would get an automated email. I didn’t. So I called the company. There was no option to speak to someone in the grants department, so I hit * to be taken back to the beginning of the menu, which led the phone to start ringing. And ringing. And ringing. So I hung up and dialed again to get back into the menu so that I would know which number to hit to get the receptionist. And once I did that (it was 5, by the way), the phone rang about a dozen times before I was taken to her voicemail. I checked the clock. It was 2. Maybe they’re Mountain Time. I checked the address. Pennsylvania. Yeah, no excuse for the phone to ring that many times before I wound up in voicemail. And, yes, I’m still waiting for them to call back.

So that was grant #1. I didn’t have a bookmark for the company for grant #2, so I had to email the drug rep to get the information on how to submit a request. Grant #3 was going swimmingly until it asked for our joint sponsor’s tax ID number. I left a voicemail for their admin and emailed her with everything I needed. Once she gets back to me, all I have to do is enter that information and hit “submit”. Grant #4 had a 60-day deadline, and today we are officially 58 days out. And grant #5 was like grant #2.

So there I was, initially thinking I was going to have to work late in order to get all five (or rather four since we missed the deadline on one) grants submitted, stuck in a holding pattern. Around 3:25 as I was starting to get ready to leave, the rep for grant #2 emailed me back with the form that their company required. (No wonder I didn’t have a page bookmarked!) And so I printed it off and started gathering all of the appropriate forms. And while I was doing that, the rep for grant #5 emailed with the person I needed to contact. I shot off a quick message to this new rep and then finished compiling everything I needed for grant #2. This company gives instructions for fax, email, or snail mail. Since I had to print everything off anyway, I started with the fax option. And there was no answer. Naturally. So I scanned the forms and emailed the company.

And that brings us to 4pm. Nine hours in the office, and I managed to send a batch of display request letters, which only take about five minutes apiece, and submit one grant. The bulk of my day resulted in one grant submission. ‘Cause I wasn’t frustrated enough by the results of my bloodwork.

But when I called my mom to cry, she asked if I needed anything from Meijer’s. And I said I was going to need yogurt. And maybe some frozen green beans would be good. Oh, and milk. And if there’s any fruit worth eating… And she bought groceries for me while she was there buying groceries for herself. She bought me raspberries. And pineapple, already cut up so I don’t have to work at it. And she bought me both French-cut green beans and regular green beans, so I could have choices. And she packaged some grapes into individual servings so all I have to do is put them in my lunchbag.

And in case you’re wondering, yes, I am crying as I write this. Like I said, it’s just been one of those days.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s