I Have a Good Excuse

You probably think I’ve been neglecting you. And, yes, I have. But not only have things been really busy, what with my nieces being here and having the “family” baby shower, but I’ve been sick. I mean really sick. Sick to the point that if the antibiotics hadn’t worked, I’d have been in the ER for IV fluids sick.

It all started when my nieces were still here. They came swimming a week ago this past Thursday. I didn’t feel great by the time my mom took them home, but it was also around the time that I normally take my B6-half-a-Unisom combo to keep the morning sickness at bay. My throat was kind of sore. Friday, my throat was really sore. But that was all. I didn’t have any other symptoms. And hot water with honey at work seemed to help. Saturday, my throat was incredibly sore, it-hurts-to-swallow sore. And I had laryngitis. And my chest was feeling phlegmy (phlegmish?). But that was also the day of the family baby shower, so I couldn’t just stay curled up on the sofa all day trying to drink water in small sips. And by the time I got home, I was running a low-grade fever. And it hurt enough to swallow, that there was no way my prenatal vitamin was going down. Or anything else, for that matter. I found a single Children’s Tylenol in my cabinet and called to ask my parents to bring me more on their way home from church. Zofran dissolves on your tongue, so that kept the nausea to a minimum, and the children’s acetaminophen is chewable and brought my temperature back down to normal. By Sunday, my voice was completely gone. And my throat was still on fire. And all I could think was that it was a really good thing I had a Centering appointment on Monday because I could no longer use the phone. The one nice thing about that is that I didn’t have to answer the phone at all while I was at work on Monday. I just let it go to voicemail and then emailed people in reply. Centering isn’t held in exam rooms, so the midwife couldn’t really look down my throat, but she said it felt really swollen. (I’d written down the progression for her so that I didn’t have to talk through the whole thing.) She had a prescription for antibiotics called in, and they were ready for me to pick up on my way home. The instructions said to take the first dose “at once”. I was more than happy to comply. And whatever was going on with my throat, be it strep or something else, it was definitely bacterial. I could swallow again by Tuesday morning. My throat was still sore, but it was at least 50% improved. (I lost about 5 pounds, most of which was clearly dehydration. I couldn’t swallow enough at one time to stay hydrated.) And by Wednesday, my throat felt almost normal again. Whatever it was, the antibiotics knocked it clean out of my system. The midwife was perplexed by one thing, though, which is that strep doesn’t usually cause laryngitis. I think I’ve figured that conundrum out. Whatever was wrong with my throat didn’t cause my laryngitis. The viral upper respiratory infection I managed to pick up simultaneous with the bacterial throat infection is what caused my laryngitis. I know this because I have a long history of URIs resulting in laryngitis. And since the antibiotics did nothing to fix the URI, it is obviously not bacterial. It is, however, getting old. My voice is still not totally back. Although I can once again use the phone, singing is not an option, even in the shower with all that lovely steam. And I’m still coughing up some phlegm although not to the extent that I was a week ago.

So that’s why I haven’t told you about the shower yet. Or about the fun and games at the last Centering group. I’ve been sick. And I was going to write on Tuesday, but I was up coughing most of the night, so I only went to work for about two hours after which I stopped at Harding’s to get some popsicles and juice and easy-to-digest food, and then came home to take a nap and work from the comfort of my sofa. So, yes, I was home, but I still wound up working most of the day. And I was going to write on Wednesday, but by the time I worked a little late to make up the time I missed on Monday for Centering and on Tuesday for being sick, and then went to the library, it was time to just do nothing when I got home. And I was going to write on Thursday, but Dorcas started leaking in the middle of the night, so I needed to run to Target for cheap bras I could sleep in and nursing pads. (Obviously, no one gave me nursing pads at the baby shower.) And Friday, well, I wasn’t going to write because I had to go to East Lansing for work. On Saturday, I was a good girl and wrote thank you notes. On Sunday, I continued being a good girl and finished writing thank you notes, and I had knitting group. And, well, that brings us to today. And now that you have the thumbnails…


You will recall that my nieces were the official hostesses-with-the-mostesses of this shower. And despite the fact that I was miserable by the time I finally got to go home, it was fun, and it was great to see some people I don’t see very often. And the girls were pretty cute running the games. There were two games: pin-the-pacifier-on-the-baby and a beanbag toss. Emily was in charge of the former, Felicity of the latter. All of the guests got a clothespin with a 1 or a 2 on it. And then there was a second number so that people would know what order they were supposed to line up in. The “1s” played Emily’s game while the “2s” played Felicity’s, and then they switched. I did get the sense they found the present opening portion of the afternoon to be a tad frustrating because I didn’t just tear through all of the packages. The concept that people were there to see me open what they gave me and to see what other people gave me did not totally jibe with their concept of how presents should be opened. But they survived. And there’s now an umbrella stroller for my house and an umbrella stroller for my mom’s. And the dresser is now adorned with a changing pad. And there were, of course, cute stuffed animals, and onesies, and a variety of that miscellany that babies need so much of.


When I told Lori that I had laryngitis (which she figured out without me saying much), she commented that it was going to be a quiet group with me being unable to contribute. We talked a lot about birth plans and birthing positions and epidurals. And it was really hard not to chime in every time I wanted to. But I didn’t. I did have a coughing fit in the middle of the session. One of those annoying ones that just needs to pass. Thank you for the offer of a glass of water, but, no, that’s not going to help. I’m coughing because of my lungs, not my throat. I’m not the only one who is planning for all natural, but if it’s between an epidural or a C-section, I’ll take the epidural. I do need to talk to Lori about that, though. Based on my experience getting my wisdom teeth pulled (I never fell asleep – no pain, but I was awake), anesthesia makes me nervous. It’s that trust issue – will it actually work? I’m the girl who’s been taking Unisom every day for 25 weeks, and it has yet to make me drowsy.


As mentioned above, Dorcas started leaking in the middle of the night. I discovered this when I got up to go to the bathroom and noticed a stiff, nipple-sized spot on my t-shirt. And that spot corresponded perfectly to Dorcas. It clearly wasn’t a lot, but it was enough that I decided I probably should not just let it go without making sure I was prepared for it to increase. And while I was trying on bras at Target, I noticed that Madge had decided Dorcas was pretty clever. Again, not a lot, but enough that it was time to make sure I had supplies on hand. Yes, I bought a two-pack of nursing bras at Target. Yes, they are completely worthless as far as anything resembling support is concerned. But they do hold nursing pads in place while I sleep which is all I am asking them to do. I also bought a non-nursing non-underwire bra. It is ridiculously comfortable. And it has a reasonable amount of coverage. It, too, has a pitiful amount of support, but it’s perfect for weekends. (It’s also a brilliant shade of turquoise, which makes me smile.)


Oh, yeah, there’s some important stuff that happened today, too. I had my follow-up ultrasound. And I saw Lydia, who is technically my primary midwife and was really excited to see me because she hasn’t seen me in ages because I’m doing Centering. (Yes, this is the second time I’ve seen her. Can I just reiterate that I love my new practice and am totally sticking with Lydia for my regular gynecology appointments?) Once again, the bump was having nothing to do with this ultrasound thing. It threw its arm up over its head and left it there. The tech must have tried for ten or fifteen minutes to get it to move so that we could see both sides of its face. The bump refused. And then, it smirked at us. The little stinker. And because the reason for the follow-up was my partial placenta previa, I had to have a transvaginal ultrasound as well. The tech said she couldn’t see the placenta at all from that angle, so even before I saw Lydia, I knew that issue was resolved. And Lydia said that everything else on the ultrasound looked good. The bump weighs 4 lbs 5 ozs today. My fluid level was fine. Indeed, my placenta is fine. She saw no reason I shouldn’t go to the conference in Chicago this week, as long as we stop for bathroom/stretch breaks every hour or so. She did, however, say that 35 weeks and a trip to Frankenmuth (aka next week’s conference) was not such a good idea, especially since my boss will be at that conference, negating the necessity that I be there representing our program.

And I think this makes us mostly caught up. The bump’s room is turning more into a nursery each week. I haven’t been hit by that nesting urge yet, but I figure it will come, especially now that I don’t have to go to Frankenmuth next week. (Lydia was totally like those parents who are cool: Do you want to go to Frankenmuth? Not particularly. Then you’re not allowed to go to Frankenmuth. No, we didn’t have that exact conversation, but that’s pretty much the gist of it.) And, yes, there will be some time this week that you won’t hear from me. The conference in Chicago is at an expensive hotel. And you know what expensive hotels mean: extra charge for internet access. I love you guys, but I’m not writing a blog post on my phone. I’ll tell you all about it after I’m back.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s