And So It Begins

Warning: This post will contain Too Much Information. Seriously, you may not want to read it. Or at least consider yourself warned. If I remember to, I’ll put a TMI Alert before those parts. But I am pregnant, so I may not remember. Not to mention the fact that a TMI Alert won’t let you know when to start reading again…

TMI Alert! At around 4:30 yesterday morning, I lost the mucus plug. Two big globs of thick, sticky rubber cement. No blood. Just two gobs of mucus. And it turned out that I was wrong. I’d only lost part of the mucus plug. Several more gobs of mucus came out later in the day. And they just kept coming. (You can’t say I didn’t warn you.)

I also started having some proper contractions. So I got out my app and started timing them. They were about an hour apart and only 20-30 seconds long. Enough to be noticeable, but clearly not enough to merit a call to Nicki. Needless to say, there was no falling back asleep at that point. I did, however, call my mom and ask her to drive me to my appointment. We figured that between the mucus plug and the contractions that someone would be able to see me even though I was only scheduled to see the nurse for a blood pressure check.

Borgess was having a Monday yesterday. They were fully booked, so they weren’t sure if someone could do a vaginal exam. (I would like to point out that I haven’t had one since my intake appointment. I’ve been told that as long as I wasn’t having any labor symptoms that we might as well put it off. But I was also told that if I was having labor symptoms… Yeah. Like I said. They were having a Monday.) So I figured I would say something to the nurse. I saw Sr Rose. My blood pressure was perfectly normal. (No surprise there; I hadn’t been to work yet.) I asked her about seeing something. She said it wouldn’t make a difference. Well, of course it won’t make a difference in what’s happening, but it will at least tell me where I am in the labor process. Clearly, Sr Rose was having a Monday, too.

What I’d not realized was scheduled was a non-stress test. That’s when they make you lie down and strap two monitors around your belly, one to measure contractions and one to measure the baby’s heart rate and then keep you there for twenty minutes. It may technically be “non-stress”, but it is stressful and horribly uncomfortable. Especially when you didn’t realize your mother should have come back to hang out with you because you thought you were going to only be five minutes. And when the room can accommodate two patients. And the other patient has her husband/boyfriend/significant other/baby daddy with her. (Sidebar: He had a Borgess namebadge on. I looked at him and thought, he totally works in IT. One of the nurses asked where he worked. You guessed it. IT. He just looked like an IT guy.) And the nurses only close the privacy curtain while they’re getting you hooked up to the machine and then open it a little farther every time they come back. (Is that HIPAA compliant? Seems to me like it wouldn’t be…) And then your machine starts make this weird alert noise. And it turns out that it’s because it ran out of paper. But Sr Rose has never replaced the paper in this machine, so she doesn’t know how to do it. And so you have to wait for someone else to replace the paper. And since the machine didn’t record twenty minutes of data, you have to stay strapped in even longer. (Not as bad as the other patient, though. They didn’t press the right button to start recording for hers. I want to say it was at least ten minutes before someone noticed. Like I said. They were having a Monday.) And then you have to lie there and wait while the nurse takes the printout to get read. (Test was done. I don’t see why I couldn’t sit up.)

Results? Everything looked fine. My contractions were “pretty weak.” But notice the plural. That means I had more than one in the twenty minutes or so that I was lying there. Which is good. I felt like I had more than one contraction. They weren’t terrible; I’m pretty sure the only reason they were as uncomfortable as they were is because I was on my back. If I’d been in another position, I probably would have shrugged them off. The point being that I’m not going crazy, and I really am having regular contractions.

As far as seeing someone… Well, Lydia could try to squeeze me in, but I’d have to wait until she had time because she was fully booked. Or, you know, I could go up to labor & delivery. Yeah, right, like I was going to pay for that! So I still have no clue how dilated or effaced I am because I still haven’t had a vaginal exam. I have one of those scheduled with Lori on Thursday. If I’m still pregnant.

Like I said, the whole thing was pretty stressful. And I was tired and didn’t feel well. And my mommy suggested I take a nap and that she sit and read her book and knit while I do that. I don’t know if I slept or dozed or just had my eyes closed for a while, but it really was necessary. And then I went in to work for a few hours. I’d given Courtney the heads up, and I’ve told everyone in my area that if I’m not there, they should ask Courtney because she’ll have seen on Facebook if I had the baby. But they apparently forgot for a while because they were all sure that I wasn’t there because I was in labor. Someone finally did think to call Courtney, and she set them straight. She also said that Dr Z kept going downstairs to ask her in person if there was any news.

So my plan for the rest of the week is this. I’m not turning my alarm on. If there’s no baby and no active labor, I’ll go into work when I get up. And I’ll leave work when I feel like it. Today that meant I slept in until 6:45 and got to work around 7:20 and left at 2:30. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

There is, of course, nothing like your boss getting into work and being disappointed to see you. It’s a good thing he doesn’t work at the hospital at which I’ll be delivering!

TMI Alert! And when I went to the bathroom just before leaving work today, not only was there another gigantic glob of the mucus plug, but this time it was streaked with blood. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a bloody show. Methinks we’re having a baby this week!


1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One response to “And So It Begins

  1. Cathy

    Oh my gosh!!! This is all so exciting! I will be waiting with baited breath to hear the good news. I will also keep you in prayer that all goes well and that you stay strong. Contractions took everything out of me. I never knew I could sweat so much. I actually thought my water had broken at one point because I could have practically wrung out my gown. But you’ll be fine. Although I broke down and got an epidural at the point of transition, if I could make it that far, you can definitely do this.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s