December 13, 2013
Sofia would have been three months old today. Tomorrow marks the one-year anniversary of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The Michigan legislature has passed a law requiring women to purchase an insurance rider to cover abortions even in cases of rape or incest, said insurance needing to be purchased prior to becoming pregnant so women need to plan before they’re raped. We are definitely in need of a little happiness today.
What’s Making Me Happy This Week:
- I’ve already mentioned this, but I’ll say it again. Mamma Mia! It is, as billed, a feel-good musical. I’m so glad I got to see it again. It absolutely (sorry, ABBA-solutely) made me happy this week.
- It has snowed. A lot. And even though there’s been some crummy driving conditions, I still love it. It’s new snow. Everything is white and clean and it sparkles when the light catches it. It’s what winter is supposed to look like.
- As frequently happens, NPR’s Linda Holmes is making me happy. Specifically this letter addressing whether or not the Grinch can sue every Who in Whoville for defamation. Try not to sing along as you read. I dare you.
- And this elegy for Nelson Mandela from Morning Edition today. It’s a different sort of happy than the other things listed here, but it still made me happy.
- And finally, the following Rorschach of an exchange from meeting with Jenny and Meredith on Tuesday:
Meredith (I’m summarizing here): You should come visit me while I’m in London next fall. I’ll be there a couple of months.
Jenny: That’s enough time to get a black m…
Meredith: Black man?
Me (simultaneously): Black market baby?
Jenny: Black market passport.