March 14, 2014
It’s Friday! And it’s been okay. Even yesterday, which marks six months, wasn’t bad. I didn’t even find myself spending most of the day thinking about the fact that Sofia would have been six months old. Courtney and I had lunch and that specific detail wasn’t a topic of conversation. I feel like I’m starting to move forward again. Which leads me to…
What’s Making Me Happy This Week!
- The sun came out, the sky cleared up… Okay, now that I’ve gotten that song stuck in some of your heads (not to mention my own)… Yes, the weather has become reminiscent of spring! My mom and I went snowshoeing and just wore fleece sweatshirts. No coats. No hats. No gloves. Only one pair of pants. I even have worn shoes to work. Shoes! Not boots! Shoes! Sure, we had about eight inches of snow on Wednesday. And, sure, that left us with a net gain. (More snow fell than had melted on the warm days.) But the weather has reached the point of reminding us that we do, indeed, have more than one season.
- And, yes, snowshoeing is still making me happy. Especially as described in point #1. My mom and I have been rocking a stretch of trail. It’s a beautiful piece full of hills and trees and streams. And we blazed through it twice this week. Even stopping to enjoy the scenery, we found ourselves setting personal bests. Now we just need to figure out what to do so that we’re in this good of shape come next winter. Depending, of course, on what next winter brings because…
- Moving forward is most definitely making me happy. The weight I’ve had while, well, waiting for my annual has lifted. I feel like there’s the possibility that I’ll get to bring a baby home some day. And in the near(ish) future, too.
- This brilliant poster explaining World War I as though it were a bar brawl. I think the part about Russia is my favorite, but the description of the US is pretty good, too. Yes, this showed up as a meme on Facebook. And, yes, I liked it so much that I bookmarked it. Pretty sure that every now and then I’ll go back and re-read it just for giggles.
- The catalogue for this year’s Medieval Congress has arrived. Now to spend hours perusing it to decide which papers I want to hear…
- This ridiculous game. I have spent more hours than I care to confess playing it. Let’s just say that I have had to plug my iPad to charge at least every other night this week… If you care to join me down the rabbit hole, it’s free in the App Store.
- Sibling Rivalry. Yes. I have now had my DeskCycle for a week. I had a short day on Monday because of my annual and a short day today because I had a meeting in East Lansing (at which there was a random act of kindness from the conference center of free cake for my planning committee – free cake – another thing to make me happy!). I rode about 140 miles this week. Not bad. Now to see how far my brother rode on his DeskCycle.