So Much to Say!

April 30, 2014

Proof of how busy it’s been is that my parents’ anniversary came and went on Monday and I forgot to wish them a happy anniversary.  I didn’t forget that it was their anniversary.  We talked about how it was their anniversary.  But I never uttered the words “Happy Anniversary”.

We’ll start with Friday.

I was supposed to have an ultrasound and consult on Friday.  But my period hadn’t started.  And this was supposed to take place on day 3 of my cycle.  Now, since my period hadn’t started yet on Thursday, I called the nurse to find out what I should do if it didn’t start that day.  She said to call and reschedule.  So Friday morning, shortly after the office opened, I called to reschedule for Monday.  But there was no ultrasound appointment available on Monday.  The soonest I could see both the ultrasound tech and Dr O was May 5.  I told her that didn’t work.  It had to be Monday or Tuesday at the latest.  She insisted that it just wasn’t possible.  And I burst into tears.  I didn’t start crying to be manipulative.  I started crying because I was frustrated.  Everything had been going so well.  I explained that I would have to wait another month.  She offered to schedule something farther out.  I tried to explain that if my period hadn’t started yet, there was no way I could schedule farther out.  I told her that I was incredibly frustrated.  She said she understood.  I told her that, no, she really didn’t.  She said she’d talk to the ultrasound tech and call me back.

I finally spoke with the nurse shortly after my period started that afternoon.  She had talked to both the ultrasound tech and Dr O and had me scheduled for 7:45 Monday morning.  And since my period was late in the day, Saturday was going to be considered day 1.  Which meant Monday was day 3.  Right on target.

Saturday I had cramps.  Blech.

Sunday was meal exchange and knitting.  And it was fun as always.  Nothing like knitting and swapping theatre war stories.

I got to work super early on Monday.  I knew I wasn’t going to be able to get into the building until 6, but I wanted to make sure that I was there by then.  I had forgotten how much fun it is to have a transvaginal ultrasound probe poke at my ovaries.  But everything looked good.  There were four little follicles on one side and five on the other, just what there should be on Day 3.  We’re doing an FSH/Clomid protocol.  My mom, kindly, stopped at Walgreens to pick up the Clomid once I got email from Walgreens that it was in.  (I had to take the first dose that day.)

Except the email apparently didn’t really mean that it was filled.  It said “Unable to contact insurance”.  What it meant was “Your insurance won’t cover this.”  Um, yeah, kind of knew that.  So my mom told them to go ahead and fill it.  And she waited.  And waited.  And waited.  And stayed near the prescription counter so that they could see that she was waiting.  And someone finally asked if she was waiting for my prescription which had been sitting there for ten minutes.  Not Walgreens’ finest moment!

And I couldn’t stand waiting, so I called the sperm bank and ordered a vial of FF73 to be delivered to the clinic next Wednesday.  Yes, Sofia’s donor is still available.

And the nurse said she would send the FSH and hCG prescription into Freedom Pharmacy, who handled my FSH last go-round.  She said they would be calling me.

Which brings us to Tuesday.  I looked at the protocol.  I need to take the first dose of FSH on Friday.  And I still hadn’t heard from Freedom.  So I called them myself.  They not only still had me in the system, but they still had my parents’ address as an alternate shipping address.  There was one little snafu, though.  They had a prescription for FSH, but not one for hCG.  That’s okay.  Dr O isn’t sure we’re going to use hCG this cycle.  But if I do need it…  I emailed Portage Pharmacy, since they’re a compounding pharmacy, and asked if they carried hCG.  They wrote back within an hour or two to say that they do indeed and if the doctor decides we’re using it this cycle to just have him send them the prescription and they would have it for me.

And then Freedom’s automated system called me.  It hadn’t gotten the message that my order had been taken care of.

And now we’re at Wednesday.  I’ve taken two doses of Clomid.  My ovaries ache.  I think that’s a good sign.  They ached with the drugs the last time.  I still need to check the expiration dates on my OPKs to see if I need to replace them.  I take the first OPK on Monday.  My next ultrasound and consult is on Tuesday, along with a blood draw.  The Medieval Congress is also next week.  Looks like I just might miss a day of it because I’m trying to get pregnant.

I feel like I’ve been waiting so long.  And now this is moving so fast.  And I’m nervous and a little scared.  I’m scared that I won’t get pregnant and scared that I will.  Sounds pretty healthy to me!

P.S. When I called International Cryogenics, I explained that I had ordered from them before but I was now with a different physician.  She asked who I was formerly with.  When I told her Grand Rapids, she said that they worked with a lot of people after the practice closed.  Her understanding was that he had a massive heart attack or stroke and that’s why the closure was so sudden.  She thought she’d heard that he died, but I did a search for his obit and didn’t find one, so it looks like that’s just rumor.  But sudden cardiac event does explain why I got the letter after they had officially closed.  She also said she would do a fertility dance for me, so don’t blame her if it snows.  Gotta love Michiganders!


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s